From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:49:56 +0200
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]> kindly provides me with information:

>>I didn't know there was a "Montezuma" by Vivaldi, but by another
>>composer....
>
>Yes, Vivaldi did compose an opera with the title "Montezuma" (Motezuma),
>RV 723.  The German composer Carl Heinrich Graun (1704-1759), 19 years
>Vivaldi's junior, also composed an opera by that name.  The Graun can be
>found on Capriccio 60032 and the Vivaldi on Astree 8501.

This is really interesting.  Does somebody who knows these operas want
to provide some information on them? Are they based on the same libretto
btw? Can them be considered reliable sources on Montezuma II in anything?
Take notice that even if the information provided in the operas doesn't
correspond with the latest resarch on the subject, operas from this time
can still be of value in this regard.  For example when Shakespeare wrote
"Julius Caesar", he most probably had access to original (or in copies)
biographical sketches on Caesar.  Sources that not exist anymore today.

My example also leads to Haendels opera "Julius Caesar", which I know only
to the name.  Does anybody want to provide some info on it? Plot summary?
Is it based upon Shakespeare? etc.

Thanks in advance,

Mats Norrman

 [As I mentioned in another post, Frederick II (the Great) supplied
 the libretto for Graun's Montezuma (and was involved with a handful
 of other opera librettos for Graun) which was first staged January 6,
 1755.  Vivaldi's "Motezuma" was first staged in 1733, and the libretto
 is by someone with the name G. Giusti.  I've heard neither work.  -Dave]