From:
Peter Goldstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 23:21:31 -0400
Alex Renwick wrote:

>I just got a new version of Mozart's 40th and 41st symphonies (Phillippe
>Entremont and the Vienna Chamber Orchestra - Intersound).  I'm now playing
>the 40th, one of my most beloved works.  It, of course, has no name like
>Prague or Jupiter.  I've long wondered why this is the case

Margaret Mikulska has answered this question very well.  One note in
addition: according to Mozart's son, the name "Jupiter" for the Symphony
No. 41 was coined by J.  P.  Salomon, the famous impresario who brought
Haydn to London (and wanted to bring Mozart too).  As for the "Linz" and
"Paris," the names refer to the place of composition; the "Prague" was
written in Vienna but first performed in Prague.  Who first used those
names, though, I don't know.

Peter Goldstein