Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 23:14:19 -0800
From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
John Smyth wrote:

>Is it me, or is Art of Fugue a world apart from the lyricism and
>approachability of Musical Offering?

The Musical Offering is an amazing set of pieces.  Many of them are not
terribly long but all of them are quite special.  I think the fact that
the pieces are so noticeably different even upon first listen adds to the
approachability of the work because it doesn't sound like an hours worth of
the same piece.  The Art of Fugue can be an intimidating piece to listen to
due to its amazing structural and contrapuntal complexity.  I think the AOF
is very lyrical, even as much as the Musical Offering, but it doesn't have
that passage of falling semitones which Bach used to such astounding effect
in the Musical Offering.  King Frederick the Great's royal theme used in
the Musical Offering is a truly special theme.  I love both works very
much.  I think the AOF may be my very favorite work of all along with the
B minor mass.

It's tough to recommend works to people sometimes.  The performances I love
may be at the bottom of your list, John.  Having said that, here are my two
favorite recordings:

Juilliard String Quartet on the Sony label.  They had a special viola
constructed which met the voice range requirements set by the work.  The
players were so moved by the tone of the newly constructed instrument that
they agreed it had tone as fine as on any viola, standard or otherwise,
that they had ever heard.  This is my favorite performance of the work.

Ton Koopman and wife Tini Mathot on the Erato label.  This is a fantastic
performance on two harpsichords (the canons are performed solo by Mr.
Koopman).  If you enjoy harpsichord as I do, you will enjoy this rich
performance.

I know of one performance which moved me to tears yet I have no information
regarding it.  On the way to work I heard the very first Contrapunctus
performed by what sounded like 4 flutes.  I don't know what instruments
were taking the lower two voices but the performance was just amazing.
The work sounded incredibly fresh and I had to fix my teary eyes before I
stepped into my work building.  I regret that I haven't looked very hard
for this recording being busy with school and work and life.  Maybe someone
on the list can provide some information leading you to the performance
information.  I am going to look when I am done with this post and I will
let you know what I find.

Wes Crone ([log in to unmask])