Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:31:04 -0500
From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Phillip Cohen wrote:

>Hello, I'm new here.

Welcome to this most sacred fount of classical music knowledge.

>Was wondering if anyone can point me to some good biographies of Vivaldi.
>Or maybe you have some you could email me? Thanks

You'd be in for one hell of a long e-mail.

First, I'd start by taking a gander at the Vivaldi entry in "The New
Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians" found in any good library.
There is also a stand-alone (and updated) version of this artcle published
separately in the book titled "The New Grove Italian Master:  Monteverdi,
Frescobaldi, Cavalli, Corelli, A.  Scarlatti, Vivaldi, D.  Scarlatti" by
Denis Arnold...et al.  (New York:  W.W.  Norton, 1984).

Here are some recommended books which we happen to have here in the
library:

"Vivaldi" by Michael Talbot (New York: Schirmer, 1993)
   (The Master Musicians Series)

"Vivaldi: Voice of the Baroque" by H.C. Robbins Landon
   (New York: Thames and Hudson, 1993)

"Antonio Vivaldi: The Red Priest of Venice" by Karl
   Heller; trans. by David Marinelli (Portland,
   Oregon: Amadeus Press, 1997)

Mark K. Ehlert