From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:33:20 +0200
Juozas Rimas Jr:

>After the addition of the new pieces,
>
> http://www.mp3.com/JuozasRimas
>
>the site of a Lithuanian oboist Juozas Rimas, now boasts a truly unique
>repertoire: Mozart, Pergolesi, Sibelius, Albinoni, Debussy, Telemann,
>Martin (Swiss, contemporary), Martinaitis (Lithuanian, contemporary) and
>De Falla.  Most of the pieces are neither dedicated for the oboe, nor
>played on it by anyone else.  You're welcome to visit the site and freely
>listen to the recordings online or download the mp3s.  Thank you!

May I too encourage you to visit the site and listen if you have not
already done so? Even short mp3 extracts convey the warm strength and
vital originality of this extraordinary oboist, and his rich sound is made
perhaps even more apparent in that we are used to hearing some of the music
he plays on quite different instruments .... the Mozart, for instance, is
surprisingly a passage from K172 ...

If you don't know Martinaitis, Juozas Rimas provides a brief but excellent
introduction to him

The warm, vital energy of Juozas Rimas had already impressed me when I
heard his interpretation of Balakauskas's Concerto for oboe, harpsichord
and strings.  I hope that this well-balanced piece with its strong melodic
lines and occasional shimmerings will one day be issued on CD.  Perhaps
Juosaz Rimas Jr has the necessary information?

Juozas Rimas gives a strong, sensitive interpretation of Julius
Juzeliunas's Litanies for oboe solo on a CD entitled Lithuanian New Music
Year / Lietuviu Naujiosios Muzikos Metai which can be obtained from the
Lithuanian Music Information and Publishing Centre.  Ref.:  LMIPC CD 004

http://www.mic.lt  E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Five other Lithuanian composers including Balakauskas and Kutavicius make
up the "New Music Year" and the musical 'adventure' is most rewarding.

Regards,

Christine Labroche