From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:49:15 -0500
New to my cd inbox:

Paul Creston, Symphonies 1-3, NSO of Ukraine, Theodore Kuchar, cond.
Naxos 8559034.

This is a little gem!  When I was an undergrad, every percussion major had
to have a go at Paul Creston's famous marimba concerto.  I came to think at
the time that he hadn't written anything else!  Lucky for us, Naxos have
issued his first three symphonies in the American Classics series.

These are refreshing and delightful works, rhythmically vital and tuneful
to the last.  The most intriguing for me was the third symphony which
depicts the life of Christ and is based on plainchant themes.  The movement
on Victimae paschali laudes is most interesting of all.

Creston is a composer that is well worth exploring further, and this cd
is a great place to start.

Kevin Sutton

 [There are two reviews of this disc at Classical Net.  -Dave]