From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:00:27 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>The three Collins releases I remember most fondly are Britten's
>complete orchestral songs directed by Bedford (2 cd's), Handel's Esther
>from Christophers, and Bach's Art of Fugue performed by Joanna MacGregor.
>The label certainly didn't go under from lack of quality recordings.  What
>were the basic reasons for its demise?

There is a fabulous set of Haydn's named symphonies on Collins Classics.
These are performed by The Consort of London under Robert Haydon Clark.

Clark has a perfect feel for these works.  His approach seems to be based
on bringing out every nuance in each piece.  In my view these performances
are usually better than Davis in comparable repertoire.  No 103 "Drum Roll"
is my personal recommendation of this work above all others.

The sound on these cds is absolutely superb.

The boxed set of 4 cds also has one of the most beautiful covers I have
ever seen.

If you find them, buy them.

Bob Draper