From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 19:52:17 -0400
Larry Blaine wrote in response to my post:

>The building TC refers to was probably the Music Hall, on Winter St. near
>the Common, which was built in 1852 and where the BSO played until Symphony
>Hall opened in 1900.  I don't think any trace of the Music Hall remains
>today, and it may indeed have been pulled down about a century ago.

When Symphony Hall was under construction many thought it would be named,
Boston Music Hall.  If you look at the posts supporting the banisters
(assuming they haven't all been replaced by elevators) there are carved
initials: BMH.  When the hall was named Symphony Hall, these letters were
painted the same color as the rest of the post instead of gilded.  They
were still there some 20 or so years ago when I last looked.

Regards,

Tom Connor