Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 10:35:42 +1000
From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Deryk Barker replied to my:

>>...  the film "Brassed Off" deals with this very theme.  The plot
>>device that spurs things on occurs when a young woman joins
>> the band.  Of all things, she plays the flugelhorn.
>
>Was it the flugelhorn or the cornet she played?

Flugelhorn.  I checked a review just to confirm my memory wasn't playing
tricks.

>>Her piece de resistance is the slow movement of the Concierto de
>>Aranjuez.  Rodrigo might not have approved necessarily, but I doubt
>>that he would have been too upset.
>
>Hey, if it worked for Miles Davis....

I've always preferred such things as Kind of Blue and the quintet records
he made for Prestige.  Besides, Tara Fitzgerald, who plays the young woman,
is much prettier than Miles was...

Alan Moss responded to:

>>...  a vivid demonstration of the high level of musicianship some
>>bands achieve
>
>The band who actually provided the music for the film was of course
>the London SO, whose film credits also include the 'Star Wars' series.

I don't remember what music there was other than the band items but my
understanding was that the band pieces were played by the Grimethorpe
Colliery Band.  While we're at it, could someone confirm - is Grimethorpe
pronounced as spelt, or is it Grim-thorpe?

Richard Pennycuick