From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 12:31:22 -0600
>Surely if there is
>GM pollen in the honey then the honey must be from the same source and
>therefor must be considered contaminated.

If tolerance levels are low (< 5%) and pollen counts high (>50%), you're
probably safe making this statement.  However most honey sellers and the
honest buyers will tell you pollen analysis is really only a tool and by no
means fool proof.  A common example here in Canada is clover honey produced
late in the season.  Sometimes pollen testing will say it is 75 - 90%
canola.  The honey will be water white and stay liquid till after
Christmas - characteristics of clover not canola.  When a report comes back
like this, the producer will recall a small patch of volunteer canola in the
area. Nectar from the clover, pollen more easily obtained from the canola.

A specialty honey buyer in the US told me a few years ago that with some of
the varieties honeys he packs he relies more on colour, favour and texture
than the pollen counts.  He found them unreliable.

The European buyers pretend to swear by pollen testing, but will throw the
results out the window when the need suits them.

If the honey must be 100% GM free, then I'd say that with the presence of a
GM pollen there is likely some nectar in there from a GM plant.   As soon as
percentages become involved, things get real fuzzy.

Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB