From:
Thom Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:55:58 -0500
"Swintosky, Michael D." wrote:

> John Mitchell wrote:
> "... Habitat loss is a significant threat to native pollinators. So are
> pesticides. Competition from honey bees, if any, is not."
>

> We know that ANY new species introduced to an environment is going to
> produce change.   If that species flourishes, the change to the environment
> is likely to be dramatic in one or more respects.  Dramatic change of any
> kind is likely to be supportive of some species while constituting a
> "significant threat" to others.  Thus, a ripple effect occurs. The soapbox is
> now open...
>
> Mike

Perhaps I should preface this by calling it my rationalization. I have not
studied, but thought on the topic considerably.

    Honeybees are managed for many reasons. A most significant reason is the
large number of foragers supported on a per colony basis. This would effect the
environment considerably due to the uniqueness of this trait. One significant
effect would be the more effective pollinationof plants that require significant
numbers of trips or viable seed in a short period of time in order to produce
best seed. This would have the affect of perhaps giving some plant species a
more effective breeding or rather reproductive ability, it did not have without
the honeybee. This would also affect native species. The more pronounced effect
would bethe actual ability to move bees into and out of fields in significant
numbers to allow (for instance) 100 colonies to exist in a period of time that
would not be able to survive for a year.

    While a particular site may be beneficial to (say) squash due to a naturally
large honeybee population (and therefore better seed viability/acre),It can't
hold a candle to the farmer's ability to now come into 100 acres and plant a
field of squash knowing that the good old boy (me) down the road will arrive at
the scientifically derived proper time to ensure a significantly larger number
of fruit than would be naturally pollinated without the temporary introduction
of this flood of pollinators. This is one factor that makes crops such as this
economically feasible.

    The 2-3 weeks the honeybees were there did not crowd out the native
pollinators, they augmented. When I pollinate melon, I see many other species
besides my honeybees in the field. It is a good thing. It is in my best interest
to also attract these other pollinators. The better crop I help create by any
means is another feather in my cap and more work next year.

    The larger affect on native pollinators is the fact that the honeybees make
it possible to monocrop larger than would be feasable without their
introduction. The pollinators are not crowded out by honeybees. The meadows of
uneconomical weeds, flowers "unproductive land" are removed. With the advent of
real estate taxes and such, you cannot have large tracts of unused land. We are
forced to make all the land pay for itself or sell it. Unimproved land is too
costly to hold for the sake of holding it.

The Soapbox is now passed to the next person in line.
Thom Bradley
Chesapeake, VA