From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:32:50 -0500
Hello all,
I would add a very important point to the selling honey debate. The
quick shot of air shot in every mt bottle by a commercial honey packing
machine is there for a important reason. When you are packing honey
without such a device ALLWAYS look in the bottom of each bottle before
filling. Many a beekeeper has had a red face over not looking in the
bottom of each jar.
When i was a teenager i worked at a American Oil gas station to help pay
for my beekeeping addiction.  One day i bought a bottle of pop(brand
withheld),opened it, and took a drink. A twisted old tooth brush was in
the bottle. The owner of the station said "We(he quickly became my
partner) are rich i and i am calling ----right now! He called the pop
company and the first words they said were because the cap was off the
bottle he had no monitary claim. The pop company asked numbers off the
cap to find the bottleing plant and call and raise----.
Point is a sealed bottle with a bug in it could be a problem.
We turned away a shipment sent for sale at a fair event held by our
beekeeping assn. as we found 9 out of the  bears with small bugs in
them.
Busy Bee Acres inc. makes the claim of doing more selling events than
any other operation in the state of Missouri. At least three outside
markets a week for 7 months of the year and inside in the winter. I
personally attend about less than ten events. I will be at the "Blue
Springs Fall Fun Fest" in Blue Springs, Missouri on the Sept 15-16-17 of
this week with my observation hive. I will also be at "The National
Small Farm Today Magazine trade show" in Columbia,Missouri on November
3-4. Thanks to those beekeepers which stopped by the state fair booth to
visit with me.  Stop by and visit but i stay busy telling kids about
honeybees. We need those future beekeepers!
On the scale we are on we carry product liability and general liability
through the American Beekeeping Federation group plan. I have shopped
around and seems the best priced for the coverage. I still take
bottleing honey very serious as though i didn't carry insurance. I know
the hobby beekeeper can't justify  ABF insurance but if any sideline
people are considering product liability i recommend the ABF group plan
made up of beekeepers such as yourself. You can only join the plan on
October 1st of each year so you have about two weeks to sign up if
interested.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison