From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 07:31:23 -0400
crpost <[log in to unmask]> wrote what struck me as a lot of poetic hooey,
but it was nice style, including:

> In the event of DCA's it is perhaps slightly simpler - they are drawn by
> the queen pheromone towards a general area. There, perhaps survival
instinct
> groups them together in "safer" areas, in clearings between trees, in
> valleys and other wind becalmed, open areas surrounded by shelter from
predatory
> birds.
Well, based on my limited experience (a single DCA hunt at Gormanston), the
DCA we discovered was an open soccer field, shielded neither from wind nor
birds.  It was a totally open area.  I cannot say if that particular DCA was
typical, nor do I know if one were to return there a day or two later a
similar discovery would have been made.  I wonder if it was just chance that
a group of drones was coincidently passing by as the feather drenched in
queen pheremones was dangled provocatively in front of them.

Two interesting points: when the feather was moved near electric wires (not
of high voltage) the drones split away from the feather in an instant.  They
would not fly near the wires.  And speaking of splitting away, you should
have seen the pack of drones take off in a swarm when presumedly, the real
thing (a virgin queen) flew onto the scene.  They took off in a collective
swarm, the kind you see in cartoons, until they disappeared in the distance.
Now, does this speak for DCAs or can one assume rather that drones travel in
packs?  I cannot say, many more excursions are necessary.

> We know that bees are attracted to the vibrations of other bees and
> that is perhaps the reason why  they group together within DCA's.
Or perhaps they travel in packs.

> There have been many studies done on DCA's. Lately with radar. One of
> our SA researchers Geoff Tribe has done a lot of work on them. If you
wish,
> I could request furher input from him.
By all means, please do!

Aaron Morris - wondering DCAs or dumbsticks?