From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:08:19 -0400
Allen Dick and Al Lipscomb have recently made valuable contributions
concerning the moderation of the list.  Frankly, I have some concerns.

Back "in the old days", I was ready to quit the list because of the lack of
any moderation.  Particularly irritating were some of the flames and a
prolonged colloquy (several messages over several days) concerning religious
beliefs and beekeeping.  Therefore, I was very pleased when the messages
started to be moderated.

During the 2+ years that the list has been moderated I have seen some
comment to the effect that this is supposed to be an "informed discussion",
and therefore not open to beginning-beekeeper kind of questions.  Some have
said that beginning-beekeeper type questions should be rejected if the
moderator is aware that those questions have been addressed in the past and
are therefore available in the archives.  Personally, I disagree with both
premises and have been told by several beekeepers that they have left the
list because their questions were apparently considered too elementary to be
posted.

I hope that this impression is incorrect.  I believe that any question
should be allowed through, although it is certainly appropriate for members
to point out that a search of the archives could have provided answers,
should they wish to do so.  IMHO, we should not consider ourselves an elite
group and above addressing basic issues.  A search of the archives on such
questions will often bring dozens or hundreds of responses and narrowing the
question to winnow the responses may be beyond the capability of one asking
such basic questions.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com