From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 21:32:00 -0400
I wonder how many bees a single dragonfly would eat in a day? It can't be
many. I get large dragonflies (presumably 'darners' though I'm not familiar
with the term; the big long thin ones anyway)at my site here in Birmingham
UK; previously I used to get them over the garden in Cornwall. I have never
seen more than one at a time except around pools where they lay their eggs.
According to d'Agular, Dommanget & Prechac, 'A Field Guide to the
Dragonflies of Britain, Europe and North Africa', Collins, 1986, the males
are territorial, which would explain this. If so, the number of bees taken
might well be expected to be minimal.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley,