From:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:32:35 -0500
Greetings, here in Quebec around 90% of the 36,000 hives in the province are
wintered indoors.Most of these buildings are constructed specifically for
this purpose. The hives enter in November or December and are removed in
March or April (depending on the beekeepers region). There are no flight
holes in these buildings,no light is allowed to filter in and the
temperature is maintained at plus 3oC.There is a continuous recirculation of
interior air (therefore very little cold or warm corners), and, as
neccesary, heating or exhausting of the interior air.Winter losses are
minimal and the colonies consume little food. But there are sure glad to get
out and have a cleansing flight in the spring, do not park the truck in the
yard. Most of my hives winter outside but l use my hot room to winter my
nucs.It uses a squirrel cage fan for recirculation,a small 1000 watt heater,
and a two speed fan for evacuation: all of which are controlled by
thermostats.A lot of these buildings also have refrigeration systems so as
to delay removing the hives out if there is a warm spell early in the
year.There are buildings here capable of holding 3,000 hives.
Peter