HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Christopher Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:12:55 -0400
Histarchers,
    At the Augusta Arsenal site, we are preparing to identify bottles
and ceramics from partial excavation of two large refuse pits which
appear to date to the last quarter of the 19th and first quarter of the
20th centuries.  We have some of the standard sources (more in the
ceramics area than glass, and in this case we have a lot of bottles to
ID), but it never hurts to probe the collective experience of the list.
Can anyone suggest sources that she/he has found particularly useful for
this time frame in regard to those two artifact categories.

    Also, does anyone have experience with "Digger" Odell's bottle
identification series? (I dislike supporting looter's sources, but if
they are useful I don't want to overlook them.)   On the net this series
looks like it might be pretty useful with lots of photographs, etc., but
if there are better things out there I would appreciate knowing what
they may be.

    Any suggestions or useful experiences with particular sources would
be much appreciated either on or off list.

    Christopher Murphy
    Department of History & Anthropology
    Augusta State University
    Augusta, GA  30904-2200