HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:14:48 -0400
In a message dated 7/10/01 12:56:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Bizarre. I suppose Teutonic pride must've overcome common sense.

I should have gone into more detail. The house is located about one mile
south of U.S. Army Fort Rosecrans, a 240,000 acre Coast Artillery post that
guards the entrance to San Diego Harbor. The U.S. Navy has a Naval Airfield,
fueling station, ammunition dumps, and had more than a dozen varieties of
ships in the harbor during World War II. There were 65 reported incidents of
off-shore foreign submarines, which caused Navy bombers and patrol boats to
rush out on alerts. I expect one or more of those submarines received the
messages sent from the transmitter we found in the crawlspace of the old
house. The old man who lived there was a real nasty one to the neighborhood
kids, as I imagine one might be if his side lost a war and he had 15 years to
fear being found out.

Ron May