HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Cranmer, Leon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 07:49:18 -0400
Michael:
Next week I am going out for three days to conduct a limited survey at
Quoddy Head light, the eastern most point in the U.S.  During my last visit
there I think I identified the original (1803) tower foundation.  The
testing will determine if the original lightkeeper's house was directly
behind the tower, in an area scheduled to be disturbed by the Maine Park
service.  Hopefully we will also be able to confirm that tower location.
I only know of one other lighthouse tested in Maine (last year).  Generally
in Maine they were built on rock so there is little soil to test.  If any of
this is of interest for the project, please let me know.

Lee Cranmer
Maine Historic Preservation Commission