HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:37:35 -0400
Ned,

Then we agree on the matter. Having worked for so many years for a government
along the U.S./Mexican Border, I am only too familiar with the argument by
builders that a species is not "endangered" if it is abundant in Mexico.
However, too often the Mexican government programs wiped out their
populations of birds, butterflies, etc. and we could only conclude that a
species listed as Endangered in the U.S. had some chance for survival. Thus,
by analogy, my concern for the argument that Iceland has a lot of quonset
huts and Nissen huts and therefore we need not worry about them here.

Ron