HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Henderson, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 05:12:34 -0700
Jay and others- Everytime we do self diagnosis we are substituting our
lay-person's understanding for a trained physician's expertise. I feel
quite successful in pointing this out when speaking with individuals and
groups about archeology and archeological conservation ethics.  I allege
that everyone is an archeologist, like everyone is doctor. I think it is
human nature to be interested in our individual and collective past, and
more certainly it is human nature to be concerned about our personal
physical well-being.  As a former union representative, I would
sometimes have to remind my union brothers and sisters of the old addage
that ' a person who represents himself has a fool for a client.'  As an
archeologist and as a union representative it is not unusual to have
people ignore my opinions and advice in areas where I have expertise.
Who among us has not chosen to ignore "doctor's orders" because we "know
better."  The physicians I respect the most are the ones that don't feel
threatened by their patient's self diagnosis, but use what I think is
this natural human desire for expert knowledge, insight and explanation.
  What is troubling are the times, as an archeologist where my
"expertise" has been flawed, after gaining a layperson's confidence in
that expertise.  More troubling still are the cases where as a Union Rep
my diagnosis or remedies failed.  I think I know why I wouldn't want to
be a physician.  What I think about when people are not convinced  that
my archeological expertise is not what they want to hear (which I think
arguably is more frequently for those of us in applied contexts than in
academic settings), I think that often I am fortunate.  Those folks
probably will never be allies in conservation of resources anyhow, no
matter how much I invest in trying to advise them.  What is much tougher
is, as a civil servant, I can not refuse service to any citizen just
because they "dis" my expertise. Much of my career has been spent in
generally 'hostile work environments' toward archeology and
archeologists.  That wears many of us down, but really most of our
shortfalls don't have the direct dire consequences on another
individual's well being as a physician's shortcomings in expertise.  And
we don't pay the high malpractice insurance premiums to prove it.
Likewise as a union rep I could not refuse to represent anyone who was
in my bargaining unit. I think one of the weekly themes on the TV show
ER is a client who the long-suffering competent physician has to do her
best to serve, but whose client won't voluntarily seek counsel
elsewhere. At least Bill White's client went away.  So it isn't that
people are initially anymore dismissive of archeological expertise than
medical expertise, it is just that they are a lot less forgiving when a
physician makes an error; and maybe that is as it should be? -Mark