HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:41:47 -0600
Ned, I agree wholeheartedly with you on this matter,  but I have something
to add to your point about social context.
I'm talking about the modern social context of our work, and the fact that
genealogy is a very popular hobby (as well as the profession that you
described).   I have found that working with descendants who are doing their
family genealogy can be very "rewarding."  Archaeologists should never
"snub" these people or undervalue their contributions.   My experience has
been, that if descendants have traced their genealogy back to "my" site, or
if I can provide descendants with research that links them to the site, that
they often become the most committed advocates for saving & interpreting the
site.  Afterall, they have a built-in sense of ownership.  I find them to be
the hardest working volunteers, the most loyal helpers, the best fund
raisers ,and the biggest donors.  Also, they can often provide family
records unavailable elsewhere that can be a big help when you are trying to
recreate past social context.

Linda Derry, Director
Old Cahawba - AHC
719 Tremont St.
Selma, AL 36701 - 5446
ph. 334/875-2529 / email: [log in to unmask]