HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Barna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:29:28 -0600
Prof. Mann -

I strongly recommend that you forarwd a copy of this request to Prof. James
Axtell at William and Mary.  Jim's one of the leading historians in this
field.  Despite one of the comments made on the recent job solicitation
thread on this list,  I think it's a great idea to highlight the benefits
of and the need for cooperation between historians and historical
archaeologists.  I think Bonnie McEwan at the San Luis Archaeological Site
in Florida would be another person who should see this.  Bonnie helped me
put on a session like this at a Western History Assoc. meeting several
years ago.

Cheers!

Carl Barna
Regional Historian, BLM

                    Rob Mann
                    <bf20481@BINGH        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    AMTON.EDU>            cc:
                    Sent by:              Subject:     Re: Call for Session Papers-SHA
                    HISTORICAL            2002
                    ARCHAEOLOGY
                    edu>

                    02/15/2001
                    10:38 AM
                    Please respond
                    to HISTORICAL
                    ARCHAEOLOGY

Dear Maureen,

Below is an upated version of my original call for papers.  Diana
Loren is now co-organizing the session with me and we are excited
about its prospects.  I hope you are still interested in
participating.

Sincerely,

Rob Mann

 SHA ANNUAL MEETING

 MOBILE, ALABAMA

 JANUARY 9-12, 2002

 CALL FOR PAPERS: Bridging the Great Divide: Current Theoretical and

 Methodological Approaches to Continuity, Conflict, Negotiation and

 Change in the Greater Southeast, AD 1100-1850

 ORGANIZERS: Rob Mann (SUNY-Binghamton and Museum of Natural Science,

 Louisiana State University) and Diana Loren (Peabody Museum, Harvard

 University)

 Recently both (ethno)historians and archaeologists have challenged us

 to look beyond the "Great Divide" between "prehistory" (a construct

 that needs to be critically examined) and history.  Researchers such

 as Galloway, Lightfoot, and Salisbury urge us to look for the ways

 that historical processes and trajectories of the pre-and

 proto-colonial periods shaped the encounters between Natives and

 newcomers during and beyond the colonial period. Encounters between

 Southeastern Native Americans and the Spanish Entrada have

 traditionally been interpreted as a great defining moment in

 Southeastern history--this one period demarcating "prehistory" from

 "history." This bias has infiltrated much archaeological

 interpretation on the Southeast, both from a methodological and

 theoretical standpoint. In this session, we wish to critically
examine the methodological and theoretical assumptions that creep
into our work as we move from one side of the Great Divide (and from
one discipline) to the other. We welcome papers that adopt a critical

 approach to the use of diverse and multiple sources.

 In keeping with the interdisciplinary spirit of this symposium, we

 have invited discussants with expertise in both the prehistory and

 ethnohistory of the Southeast.  The discussants for the session are:

 Patricia Galloway (University of Austin-Texas) and Tim Pauketat

 (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign)

 Submission:  Please let us know as soon as possible if you think you

 might be interested in participating, to give us an idea of the

 potential size of the session. Submit a working title and abstract of

 150 words or less by March 30, 2001.  This need not be your finalized

 version (final abstracts must be 100 words or less, excluding title).

 Do NOT submit your SHA registration forms or checks to us at this

 time. Final registration forms must be received from all symposium

 participants by May 12, 2001.

 Rob Mann

 Department of Anthropology

 SUNY-Binghamton

 Binghamton, New York 13902

 Email: [log in to unmask]

 And

 Regional Archaeology Program

 Museum of Natural Science

 Louisiana State University

 Baton Rouge, LA 70803

 Diana Loren

 Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology

 Harvard University

 11 Divinity Avenue

 Cambridge, MA 02138

 Email: [log in to unmask]

 Phone: 617-495-4125

 Information about the Annual Meeting, including forms, can be
accessed electronically at http://www.sha.org/mt2002.htm