HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Tedesco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 02:36:18 -0500
Replying to Geoff Carver's posts:
...but do we want to just exhibit artifacts or to tell a story about

the incas? the first is easy; the other's hard work but much more rewarding

in the long run...

...yeah, but i don't like this idea of always being misleading - it's always

treasure, it's always the latest, greatest, slice-em dice-em razz-a-ma-tazz -

then when you try to explain to someone why the smelly stuff you hauled out of

the bottom of your cesspit really is more interesting than your gold-plated

wazzits, they just aren't too impressed -
Geoff,

Dear Geoff,
You are right absolutely right about "the other's" being hard work (telling
the story), and I can't agree at all with your opinion that people "just
aren't too impressed" by the rusty latrine stuff.

In my experience - which is very different from yours - a beautiful, exciting
treasures event, and an educational and thought provoking historical exhibit
can be one and the same, without ever misleading anyone. Humans, finding all
aspects of the human experience absolutely fascinating, want to explore
everything from the gutter to the glamorous.

As I said, like you my opinions are relative to my experiences. I work as a
private sector historic shipwreck professional. My first career was in
special events promotions. For a few years two partners and I produced a
popular exhibit/event that toured the United States. Titled "Lost Galleon
Treasures" it featured treasures and artifacts from six famous shipwrecks
dating from the 1600's to the 1900's. Some of the treasures and artifacts
were on loan to us for display only and some were for sale.

Our exhibit cases were filled not only with silver and gold treasures, but
with broken glass treasures, slave artifact treasures, navigational
treasures, twisted lead treasures, and musket shot treasures of varying
calibers. We invested a lot of time and money researching artifacts and
producing graphics with interesting and factual explanations.

Going back to the presentation point: Our advertising was romantic - and
people came. TV news crews covered the event because they could shoot "sexy"
footage. That footage brought more people. Our exhibit presentation was
romantic and educational. Viewers complimented us regularly on the fact that
we had so many interesting and unusual artifacts, and on the informative
presentation. Guests did read the signs, and talked about history, and
archaeology, and numismatics, and many other interesting things. Not only did
they learn a lot from us, we learned a lot from them. It was typical to be
told that a viewer's favorite aspect of the show was the fascinating display
of every-day living type artifacts. From advertising to presentation, it was
the mix of ordinary, unique, and extraordinary that made it a success with
the public.

During the tours we gave slide/lecture presentations for thousands of
students at hundreds of schools, for free. It was great PR for the show, and
it was a great experience for the students and for us. We spoke at affluent
schools, middle income schools, and needy low income schools (now these are
places where those volunteer hours being discussed could really make an
impact. Imagine giving a workshop for kids who can't go outside to play after
school because it is too dangerous). The presentations touched on survey
electronics, diving technology, Colonial Spain and Colonial Spain's
economics, environmental responsibility, archival research, discovering
history, budgeting, artifact data recording, baselines, triangulation,
conservation and curation, self control, self confidence, and team work. Oh
yes, there were also some pictures of silver coins and gold bars and chains,
some true life drama and suspense, and some funny stories. Perhaps in the end
I can best make make my over-all point by copying one sentence of one letter
from one child:
“I learned so much today I could explode...” (Lindsey)

Carol