HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:30:02 +1000
We get all manner of resumes. For some reason I seem to get heaps from
archaeologists on holiday in Australia wanting me to employ them. Few have
any skills that I might want to use.

Like anything a bit of research will help in making sure that the resume is
addressed to someone who works there, the various names are spelt correctly
and that the resume relates to some line of work the company does. Most of
this information can be obtained by ringing up and asking the receptionist.

The standard text book resumes stand out as they all use the same format and
key words. As for the oversell, if you really were the greatest
archaeologist on earth don't you think we would know who you are and if you
were available for hire? Generally all I want to know is whether you can go
out into the field and tell me what is there with a minimum of fuss.

In the discussion on the bricks the following book was mentioned

Ries and Leighton, 1909, History of the
Clay-working industry in the United States

Can anyone give me a fuller citation and some information about the work. Is
it rare? How many editions?  and so on.

yours

Iain Stuart
Principal, Archaeology and Heritage Management
HLA-Envirosciences Pty. Ltd.