HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
ned heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:21:56 -0500
Rich Green wrote:

>There is no technology in dowsing.  It is little more than redneck
>voodoo.  Hume also suggested that coat hangers were a better choice than
>metal detectors.  I doubt if anyone gives much credence to that
>assertion.
>
>Surely, you're not asking a serious question with regard to dowsing?

Yes, I am asking a serious question.

Mr. Noel Hume is not the only reliable authority to mention dowsing
as a potentially serious technology. Even if the suggestion had come
from a lesser figure, serious suggestions deserve to be honored.

I don't know why it works, how it works, or even if it works. I
merely asked if anyone has given it an open-minded test. We're in
pretty bad shape if we can dismiss ideas as "redneck voodoo" without
reasonable test and review.

So, please, does anyone have serious answers?

--
*  Compost is nature's *