HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"J. H. Brothers" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:27:43 -0400
I entirely agree with Ned.  Archaeology is interdisciplinary and
multidisciplinary.  I also agree that the only truly defensible projects
are holistic.  Ignoring any aspect of a research project degrades the
value of the project.  And I understand that funding can be a problem.
But....  in CRM there is no excuse for doing half the job.  If the
project is required, then do a complete job.  If the project is a
multiple year university project there is really no excuse for not doing
the job correctly.

I am working on the colonial iron industry of Virginia.  I do not have
lab facilities, nor am I a metallurgist.  The cost of metallurgical
analysis is not high, nor it it time consuming.  But, I don't have a
great deal of money.  I have found lots of archaeometallurgists eager to
help and answer questions.  There are even some willing to do testing
and analysis for free.  Some do it because it provides them with a
source of interesting material to delivery conference papers on.  Others
because they just want to help.  I encourage anyone working on a
metallurgical site to post queries on the arch-metals list
([log in to unmask]) or arch-ind for industrial projects.

Jamie Brothers