HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:12:47 -0600
I for one, would be glad to give a personal testimonial about the
conservancy to anyone that wants to call or email me.  They are great.
Ironically, I was their worst critic a few years back because they seemed to
be turning their back on historic sites, or at least those that did not have
an American Indian component (Contact period).  But, in the last few years
they have done a fine job of correcting this bias, and have even come to the
rescue for the site I'm working on.  Of course, they are not always like
Santa Claus and just drop free money on your problem, but they are fine,
hard working partners.  The expertise of their staff is invaluable.   They
have certainly gone the extra mile here in Alabama to help us save some very
important historic archaeological sites.  Alan Gruber of the Southeast
division has been super.

In fact, If the SHA hasn't already acknowledged the fine work they do, I
think the Board of Director's should consider it.  Hey.....Anyone out there
interested in lobbying the BOD with me?   Perhaps we need to show the
Conservancy that historical archaeologists appreciate what they do, so
they'll continue to save historical sites in the future.

Linda Derry, Director
Old Cahawba - AHC
719 Tremont St.
Selma, AL 36701 - 5446
ph. 334/875-2529 / email: [log in to unmask]