HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 16:50:54 -0800
Bob Shuyler-  Is the schism between these specialized clubs so serious
that they can't combine to support a single "outreach program?" As you
may know the Society for American Archaeology has a Council of
Affiliated Societies which one would assume would be more effective if
it integrated both SAA and SHA leadership. The Archaeological Institute
of America is structured around developing and supporting local
societies.  Is there any cross organizational interest in the leadership
of societies to build a coalition to support state and local
archeological organizations?  I ask these questions wishing they weren't
rhetorical.
        The SAA and the SHA were able to get together to support ROPA to
establish a sharper boundary between professional and avocational
status.  The fact that national standards were set based on academic
criteria without grandfathering or a provision for local standards
disenfranchised an unknown number of us. I question whether the national
organizations can now get together to re-integrate we avocationals into
a common archeological conservation fellowship either independently
(SHA, SAA) or as a coalition as with ROPA.
        My own experience as a long term supporter of "community" archeological
societies is that engaging many "professionals [those that make money
doing archeological research]" in local avocational societies is tough
and usually ungratifying work.  Furthermore the leadership of some of
the local societies that I have been active in is often very suspicious
of both professionals and outsiders regardless of profession.  After
seven years of effort some of us managed to merge our local
Archaeological Society with our local Historical Society.  Neither
Society is active in the Statewide Historical Society or the Statewide
Archaeological Association.  Few of the salaried archeologists or
historians in my community are active in local or statewide
archaeological associations.  Of course these same 'professionals' are
largely not members of the SAA, the SHA or the AIA either.  They simply
do not see any relationship between their membership in any of these
organizations (national, regional or local, professional or avocational)
relating to their practice as archeologists. I may sound bitter about
this, because I am, but now that ROPA has succeeded in excluding some of
us practitioners who support the resource conservation objectives from
its ranks, I will await leadership from my "professional" betters to
organize we "avocationalists" wandering in the wilderness.
        I remain a member of SAA, SHA, AIA, AAA and a number of local and
Statewide archeological organizations and will continue to support the
efforts of the leadership of these organizations to direct more
resources to public participation as the only effective means of
archaeological resource conservation.  To paraphrase former US Senator
Tip O'Neill 'All archaeology is local.' -Mark
Mark Henderson
Ely, Nevada