HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Carole L. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:54:37 -0500
Thanks to all you listmembers who gave advice on purchasing acid-free
boxes.  Hollinger is, by far, the most reasonable; its current catalog
lists standard record storage boxes (with separate lid or attached lid) at
$3.68 each in units of 50-99.  Hollinger also supplies a lignin-free
variety of this box for $5.58 each in units of 50-99.

Now I have another question:  According to the specs of the acid-free box,
the corrugated board is not buffered, whereas the lignin-free box IS
comprised of buffered board.  In the back of the catalogue, Hollinger
offers the following caution: "Neutral, unbuffered papers will eventually
become acid due to atmospheric gaseous contamination."  Have any of you had
any experience with acid-free boxes 'gone bad'?  I'm wondering if it's
worth it, in the long run, to purchase the unbuffered boxes, or if I should
go for the buffered variety.

For those of you in need of a current Hollinger catalogue, the number is:
1-800-634-0491

Address:  The Hollinger Corporation
P.O. Box 8360
Fredericksburg, VA 22404

Thanks again --

Carole Nash, Dept. of Soc/Anth, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA
22807