HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Natalie Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:11:37 -0800
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has worked at colonial
period Pennsylvania or any other colonial German sites. I'm analyzing
some gunflints from a
colonial German/Swiss site on the South Carolina frontier and am finding
more smaller pistol size gunflints than musket size flints. It seems
that pistols would have been of little utility and a friend of mine
pointed out that "Pennsylvania Rifles" would have used the smaller
flints and that, if anyone would have had access to these kinds of
rifles, it would have been German immigrants since these were of German
manufacture (Germans were the only ones making rifles at this time). So,
I'm trying to figure out if there is any evidence that colonial Germans
had greater access to these than other ethnic groups. Any ideas??
Thanks.
Natalie Adams
New South Associates, Inc.