HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Carole L. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:32:29 -0500
Dear Barry,

Thank you so much for sharing the information about the Denton Co.
Archaeology web page and the pottery kiln projects.  I am currently
involved with a ca. 1870 kiln site here in western Virginia, and it's great
to see what other folks are doing w/ similar sites.  My students and
volunteers from the local chapter of the Archeological Society of Virginia
have been working for the past year to save what we believe to be the only
standing 19th c. stoneware kiln in western Va.  Unfortunately, it is
collapsing on itself due to years of neglect, and we hope that we aren't
too late to save it.  In addition to mapping and photographing the kiln, we
have begun a testing program to determine associated work areas.  We have
recovered over 10,000 sherds and kiln furniture in the process of this
work; it's an amazing site.

I really enjoyed the web page, by the way -- you all have some neat stuff
going on in Denton!  Carole Nash, Dept. of Soc/Anth, James Madison
University, Harrisonburg, VA 22807