HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
basedowm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 07:56:37 -0500
One of my graduate students is researching a (relatively) accessible downtown
Wilmington, NC, site on the lower Cape Fear River. She found a single, 1862
reference to "The Confederate Sword Factory". I know very little about this
period or industry but suspect there are many out there who do. Our questions
are:

1) Is this possibly a generic term for a local, pre-existing foundrey
converted to produce weaponry during the war? There are a lot of otherwise
foundries in the area ante- and post-bellum.

2) If this refers to a specific establishment by that name, is it possible to
identify the manufacturer of civil war-era swords via "maker's marks", style,
composition or some other factors? I would guess this can be done in some
instances but not others.

Any response greatly appreciated!

Maureen Basedow
Assitant Professor of Archaeology
University of North Carolina, Wilmington