HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert L Schuyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:24:20 -0400
BURN BARRELS

Since my discussion of the "Schuyler Family Dump" (ca. 1950-1958) got
Meta to bring up the issue of the burn barrel, yes, we also had such a
barrel just in front (closer to the house) of the dump. There was nothing
fancy about it, just a standard barrel and we only burnt paper and the
annual Christmas tree in it. Oddly I can not remember the details of how
and when it was emptied; perhaps because we were too small as children
for that task.

I do recall we used it for "gas warfare." The next door neighbors, an
Italian American familty, had sold us our house and had not treated us
well when they had held the mortgage. We would save up all our dog papers
(from the basement which the dog, Rover, or her puppies used) and whenever
our neighbors had one of those big outdoor parties (like the scene in the
God Father) we would burn all these papers and, God willing with the wind
blowing in the right direction, cause a rapid evacuation inside. It was
great.

I wonder why people burn paper, why not just bury it in the dump with
everything else. Just the bulk?

Has anyone seen any articles on  20th century household trash disposal
methods and customs? This has been an interesting discussion and it is
amazing how much has changed and how rapidly since ca. 1960. Some of us
are getting old enough to be primary sources.

                                        Bob Schuyler