HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wm Liebeknecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:36:13 -0400
I have one more twist on this suject.  I also grew up in the 60's and was my
job to take the household trash out back and burn it in a galvanized
perforated garbage can (1/2" holes) set up on brick to provide good air
flow.  The can also had a perforated lid.   Once a week I would empty the
can in an adjacent vacant lot in shallow pits.   These cans would last for
about a year before they would start to break apart.   Last week while I was
helping my father clean out the attic over the garage I came across two burn
cans in mint condition.  My father had purchased these cans as future
replacements and then a local ordinance ended this practice.  One of the
cans still had a label on it after 25 years of storage.  The label reads
"Heritage House quality galvanized ware 20 gal.  Distributed by American
Hardware Supply Co. Bulter, PA." ... ". rust-proofed zinc coating" ". finest
grade steel"  ". built for abuse".   So you are asking what is the twist.
Well when I finished cleaning the attic I decided to take the cans home and
think of some other use for them.  Guess what they are perfect composting
containers.  Rain can get in and all I have to do is lay it on its side with
the lid in place and roll it to mix the organic matter.  I never thought it
would show up on this list.  I guess I'm getting old...Thanks!

Bill Liebeknecht
Hunter Research Inc.
Trenton, New Jersey