HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Wittkofski, J. Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:48:35 -0400
Yes, I have done Prehistoric archaeology, however, my graduate degree is in
Historical archaeology and regardless of the rhetoric that has been bantered
about, I am still concerned that there is simply too much waste at the
taxpayer's expense spent digging up sites of limited or marginal value.
Sure every site can tell you something about past lifeways, however, is it
always important information?  Would any of us really consider nominating
this landfill to the National Register of Historic Places?

My earlier notion about "information potential" came from Criterion D for
properties being considered eligible for listing in the National Register of
Historic Places.  This Criterion is the one most often used by
archaeologists as the reason for doing site evaluations and data recoveries.
I have read some interesting ideas and theories from some who have commented
on this thread about what could be gained from digging this 1930-1940s
landfill.  However, I remain curious as to what are the research questions
developed by the consultants and most likely approved by the Utah SHPO with
the hopes of their being answered by this dig.  One should not have to wait
until the final report comes out to find out what kinds of questions were
considered and whether or not any even could be answered by those data.

I remain concerned that far too many sites go to data recovery because they
contain intact deposits.  I would venture to guess that most historic sites
contain intact deposits, so what?  In the past, many archaeologists assumed
that if you had intact deposits, the sites automatically were eligible for
the National Register.  I am glad to see at least some SHPOs are moving away
from that resolve and more are leaning toward trying to determine what
important information will be gained from that site.  I hope that in the
review of the data recovery plan, the folks in Utah were able to ascertain
what that important information might be.

In my nearly 25 years of cultural resources management and archaeological
research, I have seen quite a few data recovery reports which talked about
stuff found but really did not add any important information to cultural
history and process.  I am not ready to throw in the towel.  I would like to
think we are capable of more than simply digging up sites be they 1,000
years old or 50 years old.  As someone who is paid through tax dollars, I
would like to think that what I do is at least playing a small part in
contributing to a more thorough understanding of human history.  I am sure
that the Sagebrush Consultants will do a fine job as would any other
cultural resources firm, research organization, or university.  My questions
are more a concern as to when should we consider using other sources of
information, what will archaeology tell us that we cannot obtain from other
sources, and are those who are paying for the research getting their monies
worth?

I agree with those who have added comments that we need to do a better job
of informing the public about archaeology.  Many strides have been made in
the last decade or so, more still need to happen.  Will digging such sites
as 1930-1940s landfills validate in the eyes of the public the worth of
archaeology?  I am skeptical at best.

No doubt I have stirred up the hornet's nest, but isn't that what makes
these discussions so interesting?

Mark Wittkofski

(The comments above are the author's alone and do not represent his
employer.)