HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Wittkofski, J. Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:26:03 -0400
Not to be too much of a cynic but...

Has the search out West for significant historic archaeological resources
diminished to the extent that 60 to 70-year old garbage dumps are expected
to provide information that will contribute to our understanding of human
history and information that is important, not just more stuff?  As a
taxpayer I would question the usefulness of this kind of expenditure.  Has
the Utah SHPO concurred for the need to do your excavation?  I suppose if I
saw your Research Design and had a better understanding of what important
research questions you hoped to answer by the study, I might be more willing
to accept this work.  However, at this point in time, I think all practicing
archaeologists need to keep in mind that not everything needs to be dug up,
particularly if one is using public monies.

Mark Wittkofski

(The opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily
reflect his employer.)