HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:32:17 -0400
There are two major issues in conducting archeology on the Indian
subcontinent. One is the permit process as the Indian government administers
it. From my informants, the process is easily one of the most political and
"politically correct" systems (i.e. what is the current interest of the
Indian state in archeological information) in the world. The other is a
pervasive sense that Indian archeology ought ot be conducted by Indians with
the Indian perspective on the past. Thus, I would find it remarkable to find
much archeology of the colonial period that relates to the British invaders'
material culture other than that which vindicates current views.

John Dendy