HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Barry Vermillion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:38:10 -0500
I remember when my grandparents bought their farm in northcentral Texas in
1960.  The owners were two sisters, one in her late 70's, the other in her
early 80's.  They were both born in the house and lived on the farm all
their lives.  The only indoor plumbing was the well water piped to the
kitchen sink (cold only, no waterheater).  The outhouse was located about
30 yards from the house, I remember it vividly.  My Grandfather asked the
ladies why they didn't have a "bathroom" installed and they both just
laughed and said it would be too expensive and just something else to worry
about.  Indoor plumbing was for the city folk.  For a year we made use of
the outhouse, or chamber pot, while the "bathroom" was installed.  I have
left out many "details", but we were certainly happy when the indoor work
was done.

Barry