HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:30:35 -0400
In a message dated 4/24/00 11:37:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< The period of
 interpretation is 1680-1709, as the Occaneechee fled from the Tuscarosa. >>

I'm not being picayune, but is that the Tuscarosa or the Tuscarora. My
interest in is that they live in New York State, Lewiston, NY up near Niagara
Falls. Historically in the recent past they made many beaded works for the
tourists of the falls and their handiwork became well known, according to a
journal of New York History. Recently on television's "History Channel,"
there was reference to gentleman who was instrumental in "saving" them from
some fate, all I can think of is the large hydroelectric holding pond on the
edge of the reservation. Perhaps this was his effort, before EIS's and other
legislation. Also, recent efforts by linguists have protected what remains of
some of their language. I personally have met with one, a Ms. Evelyn DuBuc,
who at the time had a son Pogo, (after "we have met the enemy and he is us,")
as we were both attending SUNY at Buffalo University at Amherst, NY, an
initial occupancy of a new campus built on a former swamp.

My interest is also sort of impersonal historical one. I read that before the
Tuscarora were invited into the Iroquois League around 1750, there had been
an important trial in the history of abolition possibly and noted by other
"Societies for the Manumission of Slavery," such as the presided over by John
Jay, noted Federalist in New York City. That particular society had been
founded by Irish Quaker, Thomas Eddy. The trial that I read had two
defendants in custody for enslaving or attempting to enslave some of the
Tuscarora. They were hanged at a trial presided over by a judge named Myers,
my impersonal interest. After this trial, as I have read it, it was
considered by the League of the Iroquois that the Tuscarora Nation be invited
into New York. There is a section of the Appalachians that they traveled that
has since been known as the "Trail of Tears" perhaps the origin of the term
in use for other forced migrations over land use and resources. They, along
with the Onondaga, I think, fought on our side against the British Army in
the War of Independence.

If I wanted to know more about this conflict, is there a general history of
it. even if I'm base over the mis-spelling?

George J. Myers, Jr.