HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:45:22 -0500
In a message dated 11/28/1999 4:20:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Question: I'm looking for information concerning ca.1770-1850 vessel
 sizes and rim/foot ring measurements. I believe the use of rim/foot ring
 diameters may be of use for arriving at Min. Vessel counts for a
 historic site collection in my care. >>

Dan-- I have been doing vesselization for years and I have learned a few
lessons along the way. The first time I ever did it we measured rim arcs and
applied the data very simplistically--ten inches of  10 inch diameter rim
sherds equaled a vessel. Hopefuly you have something more sophisticated in
mind. Yes, we arrived at a "minimum", but it was in no way representative of
the collection. This  type of problem throws a lot of vessel based comparison
schemes into question.

More recently I did an intensive study of a collection from Charleston SC
(not yet reported but there are some photos on my web site
http://encore-net.com/Diachronic).  I found that looking very closely at
miniscule variations in rim form, base rings, glazes, mold marks, trivet
marks and decoration--usually holding several variables up for comparison
(for instance, green shell edge with short even marks on a 10" plate vs.
green shell edge with longer, curved marks, etc.). I found that even in a
collection of plain whiteware this is do-able. It just takes awhile.

Of course, in Alaska with winter coming on this might be just the thing to
fill those long winter nights.

Good luck... Carl Steen