HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 18:11:02 -0500
You can see something of that transition in E-F Genovese's book (ten years
ago?) "The Plantation Household."  She emphasizes the gender connection
between disenfranchised White/Euro-American women and enslaved
African-American women, which tends to lessen in importance the great
class/status difference between these groups.  Beginning of a slippery
slope?  Still, is she actively participating, or is her work being
appropriated by the Neo-Confederates?  I remember holding forth about the
culture of African Americans at a meeting of the South Carolina
Archaeological Association, and getting the reaction, from an couple of
South Carolina patriots at my table, that South Carolina had had the best
African-Americans in the whole South.  From the language they used, their
pride was more in the state possessing these people, not in their
accomplishments, and that was not what I had said, or had thought I was
saying.  What should you do, in such a situation?

David Babson.