HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Richard A. Fields" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:20:02 -0500
Wittkofski, J. Mark wrote:
"As most of you know, available land in that part of Northern
>Virginia is becoming scarce due to so many peoples' desires to own more
than
>a condo on a postage stamp-sized lot.  Does anyone really think that the
>government should preserve this particular nasty, old ca. 1910 prison
>complex as a park? "
And
"Could it be that when managers are tasked with deciding the fate of old
institutional
>buildings like this, they forget the tough questions and simply go for
>preserving the whole lot, as a sacred prison museum.  Don't count on seeing
>me or my family heading there as a vacation destination..."

Without a lengthy discourse, I would like to point out that the preservation
of the historic fabric of America is our responsibility, and this includes
all aspects of that history.  With that in mind, yes the gov't should
preserve this facility as part of this fabric.  First, they are required to
evaluate it as part of NRHP, and the preference is for districts over
individual buildings, and secondly laws are in place on the disposal of
public buildings which require a lengthy process of offering them to
everything from local governments to the homeless.  I know of several
instances of where this has been done,  Fort Hays in Columbus, Ohio and
Defense Depot Ogden Utah come to mind.  As to the sacred prison museum,
well, I doubt it will come to that as a whole.  Using Fort Hays as an
example, it was declared a historic district, and as the Army closed parts
of the facility, they were turned over to the Columbus schoolboard.  This
leads me into probably the best use of the facility, adaptive reuse.  I have
seen Lorton, and many of the buildings would lend themselves to this.

Society might rather forget most of the criminals from Lorton (which I
disagree with) but if this is so, it is all the more reason to preserve the
facility.  Lowell Mass has preserved boarding houses (they were only
workers, why remember them) Keweenaw National Historic Park is working to
save the history of a mining district, and Sloss(schloss?) furnace in
Birmingham is preserving the history of a segregated workplace and
industrial  site, should we just ignore them too?

Richard A. Fields

Views are my own and not those of my employer