HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:27:06 -0500

First, I do not know if things are the same in historic
preservation/architecture as they are in contemporary archaeology.
Assuming they are, you should be able to find at least temporary work in
state or federal government agencies, some university departments, or, more
likely, a private contracting firm (often in association with an
engineering firm) that is doing National Historic Preservation Act-Sec. 106
compliance work.  Again, if the analogy to archaeology holds, there will be
project-specific opportunities in cultural resources management.  The jobs
won't last, the pay will be low, and the benefits will be next to
non-existent, but it is a good place to start, to gain some experience, and
to decide if you would like to pursue a career in historic preservation.
If you decide for the career, you should look into getting an advanced
degree, particularly an MA.  Your department/its professors should be able
to direct you toward the current programs in your area.