HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Hyett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 21:30:11 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Denis Gojak" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: clay pipe fragments & tavern sites

> Tim
>

> There are references for at least Australian lower class pipe smokers
> working hard to try to make their pipes last as long as possible and
> having them black and erky and clagged with gunk becoming a matter of
> pride.  This should be evident in archaeological samples that  show
> reshaping of snapped stem sections for new moputhpieces.
>
> Denis

I used to smoke a pipe back in the bad old days and would keep on using it
when the stem broke, refitting the shortened stem till the tip of my used to
almost catch fire in the bowl, but I object to the term "lower" class.I
would accept (proudly) "working" class, but I never accepted the idea that
"Jack was as good as his master" I always thought he was a bloody sight
better and still do.
John