From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 08:26:54 +1100
Buried in the new release listings in the November Gramophone is a Dynamic
CD of two symphonies by Herold.  All I know of him is his Zampa overture,
and a delightful ballet, La fille mal gardee, arranged by John Lanchbery.
A quick look in Grove revealed that, apart from multiple operas comiques,
Herold also left us four piano concertos.  The symphonies date from 1813
and 1814 when he was in his early 20s: he was only 42 when he died.

It's all too easy to read of the recording of some long-forgotten
work and assume that it would be as well if it remained just that.  The
Ries symphonies cpo released a couple of years ago are a case in point.
They're no masterpieces but they're good music, and I've returned to them
often.  Maybe it's time for Chandos to initiate a series of symphonies by
contemporaries of Beethoven.  In the meantime, if anyone hears the Herold
symphonies - or buys them - I'd be interested to know what they're like.

Richard Pennycuick