From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:52:39 +1100
Yesterday a friend played me some of an Eloquence CD containing Debussy's
La Mer, Nocturnes and Images in performances recorded in the 50s by Eduard
van Beinum, and very impressive they were.  The orchestra is credited as
the Royal Concertgebouw.  I'm not sure when the Concertgebouw became known
as the Royal Concertgebouw but it certainly wasn't known by that name in
the 50s.  Similarly, Sir Simon Rattle is so-called even when referring to
music he recorded when he didn't have the knighthood.  My point is that the
unwary might believe they are buying something recorded more recently than
it was.  I know the fine print will give recording dates, caveat emptor and
so on, but it still seems faintly like sharp practice.  Or am I just being
pedantic?

Richard Pennycuick