From:
Alex Soteros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:30:22 -0400
On Sunday, 23 Oct.  2000 22:05:00 EDT (Monday 02:05:00 GMT) CBC Radio 2
will broadcast (http://cbc.ca/audio.html) as part of a program containing
works by Talivaldis Kenins, Christos Hatzis, Omar Daniel and Kelly-Marie
Murphy a new work by Nikolay S.  Korndorf called "The Smile of Maud Lewis".

Korndorf describes himself in his website
(http://mypage.direct.ca/k/korndorf/) as "Russian, since 1991 Canadian.
I belong to the direction in Russian music which, independent of the
composer' s style, typically addresses very serious topics:  philosophical,
religious, moral, the problems of a person's spiritual life, his
relationship with the surrounding world, the problem of beauty and its
relationship with reality, as well as the problem of loftiness and meaning
in human beings and in art, relationship of the spiritual and the
anti-spiritual."

Maud Lewis was a Canadian folk-artist who died, after a hard life,in 1970.
In a CBC Radio 2 "In Performance" program about "World Premieres" Korndorf
said that he took his inspiration from a photograph of Maud Lewis (probably
the one at http://www.klis.com/digby/lewis.html) and that this piece was
"minimalist, or better, European folklorist and choral"

I recommend it to you - it is a delight.  If I can get a recording of it it
will immediately go on my "desert-island" list.

Regards ...Alex Soteros