From:
Constance Shacklock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 01:28:53 +0100
I am most impressed by the French Navy's apparent ability to nurture fine,
strapping young composers - not only Msr. Cras but Msr. Albert Roussel
launched their glorious careers with a maritime splash.  And if only the
wonderful Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov hadn't resigned from the Russian Navy,
who knows but the Czar's pride and joy might not have suffered that
shameful scuppering at the hands of the Japanese in 1904 - and we all
know to what that unfortunate event led.

Have other composers pursued military careers? I recall in my youth seeing
a fetching picture of Dmitri Shostakovich during the siege of Stalingrad
wearing not only his customary little round glasses but a dashing fireman's
helmet.  Though on second thoughts perhaps he was just getting ready for
the Official reception of one of his more rebarbative symphonies!

Of course, there's nothing like Good Military Music, but that's another
question. My husband, an Army man himself, used to enjoy marching to Eric
Coates and Sousa most, as he found Mr William Walton's efforts in the genre
had a mite too much syncopated, jazzy swagger about them - but chacun a son
gout!

Mrs C. Shacklock
"Nessun Dorma" villas
West Sussex