From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:52:15 -0500
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>The other day I had a rare opportunity to spend time in a CD store
>with some unusual material and pounced on a Musica Sveciae CD of
>Peterson-Berger's 3rd Symphony, Romance for Violin and Orchestra, and
>Gullebarn's Lullabies, a cycle for mezzo and orchestra.  I wasn't really
>sure what to expect: Peterson-Berger is one of those composers I've read
>about, including on the list, but have heard only snippets of his music.
>I listened to the symphony first and found it immediately attractive, but
>the real find was Gullebarn's Lullabies, which is sung by Anne Sofie von
>Otter.  I've loved the BIS CD of Sibelius songs with orchestra for years,
>but this cycle is, IMHO, at least their equal.  I'm now anxious to lay my
>hands on some more of this apparently highly interesting composer.  Any
>suggestions?

Absolutely.  Grab his Symphonies on the cpo lable and some of his choral
songs.  They are wonderful.  There is an international Petterson-Berger
Society of which I am a member with both a European and North American
Branch.  I don't have the address info handy, but will look it up for
anyone interested.  Private email me to get the info if you wish.

Kevin